Sunday, June 12, 2011

LeChef

My aunt is a serious foodie and if you want to know good places to eat or travel to, to eat, she knows. She often invites us along on what I call "Aunt Susie Adventures." A few weeks ago we found ourselves on another adventure.

Farm to Table is certainly a new culture.....I don't want to say fade........but something of that sort. More and more people are going back to growing their own food or at least buying locally grown, fresh foods. I know my college/work is at 40% locally grown and produced food in the cafeteria. Now the preparers of the food are truly supporting this new venue.

LeChef is a sponsor of Farm to Table dinners all over my neck of the woods. We attended this event at a local farm. We pulled down a bumpy road (something I'm used b/c I live on family property that used to be a farm) and parked the RV in the grass. We could have taken a quick hayride up the little road to the big field where the event was being held and in 92 degree heat it probably would have been nice, but we chose to walk. We walked by actual cows (I'm used to that too) and enter a open field area with some tents set up. We folded out our chairs in a shady place in the corner and waited for things to begin. We got some nice chair side service from the Roots restaurant with their delicious appetizers.

You got 3 drink tickets for wine or beer and lemonade was up for the drinking. They were very sustainable too with mason and plastic jars for cups, real silverware, real plates, and cloth napkins. The premise was that there was 4 restaurants set up with main dishes that was meat that came from the farm. You went to each tent to get a portion of what they were serving. At the end, you voted on the best restaurant. I'm sure the event went late into the evening and we actually missed the unearthing of the pig, but 92 degree weather can take its toll and we skipped off to go for ice cream and a little side trips with my aunt in the RV. 

The food was really good, though holding everything in your lap was difficult. Also, if you are walking down a road in a cow field and a cow with horns starts following you, do not, I REPEAT, do not antagonize the cow (or bull whatever). They are curious, they probably think you are going to feed them. Shaking a umbrella at them or flapping your arms at them and saying "get" doesn't help. Don't think that I did this. I grew up around cows and know better. Them following me didn't make me nervous at all. I will not name the guilty parties.











Here are a few of my pictures.

You can facebook LeChef.

No comments: