Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Give them Freedom-A Cruise Tale Pt 7

Day 7: Nassua

I had been to this island before on a previous cruise and not much had changed, except that we were def. at a different port than I had been the previous time. Nassua is beautiful and I think is a must see. Our new guy friends joined us on this venture and so did Shatha and her crew. We water taxied over the Atlantis side of the island and that’s where we wanted to go. This area is more upscale and def. for tourist. Atlantis hotel offers a lot of opportunities, but just walking around the hotel is enough really. We did just that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got bored looking around and were hungry, so we hopped in a taxi and had the guy take us across the bridge to find some local food to try. He first pointed to some tents on the side of the road, but we were not taking our chances there. Then he took us to a strip that had some in door places, some with air conditioning. He told us he could pick us up or that the pier was just around the corner. Actually, we could see it from where we were. We decided we wanted to walk along the beach to get back and declined.

We ate at a place (with AC) that had conch and other local food. Most of it was really good and I didn’t have any stomach problems later (you know you wanted to know). It was relatively cheap for the amount of food you got. We paid and started our walk down the beach taking a few shots here and there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Under the palms

Shade

Photobucket

It was a longer walk than it looked. But we were supposed to meet up with the other half of our group at Senior Frogs to celebrate Shatha’s bday, so we trudged on. About half way there, Nicole and I had to use the bathroom really bad, so there was a little beach bathroom on the way, so we stopped in. Yuck. All the toilets were stopped up, so we just held it until Senior Frogs. We went in, but couldn’t find our friends yet and nowhere to sit, so Nicole and I headed to the bathroom first. We might have should of used the stopped up toilets b/c when we walked in this lady was trying to walk out, but the cleaning lady stopped her. I didn’t notice why until I caught the smell. Nicole had already retreated to the bathroom stall to save herself. This, probably 30 something, women was covered (I mean covered) in, what I hope, was her own feces. Up and down her arms, legs, clothes. It was horrible. I don’t know if she ate something, fell in, what. I hope I never eat something that sprays feces on me like that. The cleaning lady wouldn’t let her leave the restroom. Nicole came out and rushed out the door. I ran into the stall and heard the cleaning lady instructing this woman on how to clean herself. I guess the woman told the cleaning lady to go get someone (this lady was either really drunk or maybe a little slow b/c when the cleaning lady told her she couldn’t go out, she said “What?” with a questioning look on her face). Anyway, another lady came in and asked her what was wrong. I don’t know what happened b/c I got out of there as soon as my bladder was empty.

Our friends hadn’t showed yet, so we went to the Hard Rock CafĂ© to pick up a shirt for one of the guy’s brother and then walked around the Straw Market. Please be careful here. I got roped into buying some stupid anklet b/c the lady just bent down and put it on my ankle as I was walking past. And if you have kids, be careful b/c there is a lot of drug paraphernalia around and people with supplies for the paraphernalia too. Also, on the streets there are women and children who offer you free necklaces, but then want you to “donate” to their school. This woman got real mad at me. She put it on me without asking and then told me to donate. I went to open my wallet and I had my money stuffed in there so tight that I $10 bill popped up. She said, “I’ll take it.” I wasn’t paying $10 for a necklace when I’d already got taken for $3 for an anklet. They had got my friend too, but she was being nicer and asked to see the one I was wearing. I had the lady take it off and she got really mad. I simply told her “My friend wanted to see it.” She ignored me and huffed away with her gaggle. These children weren’t even wearing school uniforms, as is a custom in the Bahamas. Just stand your ground.

We found a nice shop though and bought our token souvenirs, then back to Senior Frogs to see if our friends were there. Sure enough, they were and we pulled up some chairs, had some drinks, and watched the fun unravel around us.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was time for us to head back to the ship. We were running kind of close to the boarding time, or at least we thought, lol. We booked it back to the ship. Did I mention that w were at the last dock on the longest pier in the WORLD. You’ll know if you are at this pier b/c it’s the one with all the yachts. I got a nice little workout. Power walk, Power walk.

We board and we got back to the cabin to change.

Dinner/Dancing, you know the deal by now.

No comments: